Join Our Team of 911 Communications Professionals!
At Metro Communications Agency, we take on the challenging and rewarding work of preserving the lifeline for public safety in our community, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year....where every second counts, and every call matters!
Our team of professionals answer 911 calls and dispatch first responders across the City of Sioux Falls and throughout Minnehaha County, serving 3 law enforcement agencies, 14 fire departments and 5 ambulance services! We offer a competitive pay and benefits package to those who successfully complete the hiring process and join our team, and we provide all new hires with a comprehensive paid training program to equip you with the skills to become a professional 911 Communications Operator. Previous experience is not required. Overtime and additional pay opportunities, ongoing training, and advancement potential.
- 2023 starting pay is $23.39 per hour with pay increase opportunities at 6 and 12 months, with potential for hourly rate of over $25.00 per hour at 12 months of service
Tentative 2023 Hiring Classes Are:
Feb 27, 2023 (this class has been filled)
- May 8, 2023 (this class has been filled)
- Tenatively Sept 18, 2023 (all exam steps must be completed by late July)
Additional hiring classes added as vacancies are identified.
Must be a United States citizen.
Applicants must be at least 18 years of age at the time of hire.
Graduate of an accredited high school or possess an acceptable high school equivalency certification.
Has not unlawfully used any prescribed drug, controlled substance, or marijuana within one year before the time of application for certification.
Must have no convictions of any crime by any state or federal government punishable by imprisonment in a federal or state penitentiary.
Must be eligible for certification by meeting eligibility requirements for 911 Telecommunicator Certification under the South Dakota Law Enforcement Officers Standards and Training Commission.
Applicant must pass all phases of the hiring process.
The Hiring Process
Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications will be invited to required examinations, presentation, and interviews, offered monthly. Applicant must have a passing scores to continue on in the hiring process.
Applicants who receive passing scores in all examinations and interviews (listening/written examination, keyboarding examination, 911 Operator presentation, and oral interviews) will receive a contingent job offer as vacancies become available and recruit classes are scheduled.
After contingent job offer, candidates may go through the following screenings: psychological evaluation, background check, medical examination including hearing test, drug and alcohol screening.
- Candidates who do not successfully complete any phase of the hiring process are eligible to reapply for 911 Emergency Dispatcher after six months.
- All candidates selected for hiring must successfully complete the Agency's recruit training program. This includes a two-week South Dakota 911 Telecommunicator training program in Pierre and 3 day Emergency Medical Dispatch (EMD) training. Those who successfully complete the recruit training program are placed in the 911 center as 911 Operator for the reminder of their 12-month probationary period.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT
Metro Communications Agency is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national origin, creed, ancestry, marital status, pregnancy, age, genetic information, veteran’s status, disability or any other protected group in accordance with state and federal law.
Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law
If an ADA accommodation is needed please contact 605-978-5582 or firstname.lastname@example.org